- About the Murray
- History & Stories
- Education Info
- River Management
- Boating & Marinas
- Log On
From Sturt Reserve a Canoe Trail for beginners & Intermediate
Launching at Sturt Reseve just by the Murray Bridge Rowing Club, paddle upstream past Captain Proud, this where rail meets the river at the Murray Bridge Wharf, The rich history of Murray Bridge is waiting to be explored. Trail PDF (177kb)
Just before you go....
Caring for the Murray River and the Lower lakes while enjoying the many recreational opportunities available, will ensure that present and future generations can enjoy these wonderful places for many years.
- Always wear an approved PFD
- Be sunsafe wear a hat at sunscreen
- Take plenty of fresh water
- Take any rubbish home with you.
- Pick up a Sustainable Recreation Guide 1.6mb pdf - How to have fun with minimal impact on the Murray River.
- Report problems on river to Murray Watch (08) 8531 0710
The Canoe Trail
Launching at Sturt Reserve just by the Murray Bridge Rowing Club, paddle upstream past Captain Proud, this is where rail meets the river at the Murray Bridge Wharf, The rich history of Murray Bridge is waiting to be explored.
Sturt Reserve around the Twin Bridges, along the Historical Wharf and back to pull up on the grassy banks to wander up and have a steaming hot chocolate or latte on the balcony of Riverscape. An easy 2ks approx in a round trip.
Paddle around the pylons of the twin bridges see the 1956 flood levels markers towering above your head, Around and under the huge pylons of the twin bridges. Travelling under you will hear the vibrations of a train, and or the cars going over the top.
Sturt Reserve to Thiele Reserve
Keep paddling along the historic mooring area of Moritz Slipway, Murray Bridge Railway & Wharf Heritage Area (our history) many other parts of history awaiting restoration.
- Paddle past the Ski beach, where many a intrepid skier launched themselves from for the first time. And which has seen the likes of many an Australian Champion practising, either speed boat or skiing (Chris Marriott inboard Australian Ski champion can recall days gone by from this stretch of the River) keep on paddling up stream.
- Thiele Reserve approx 4ks on your Right. Toilets, BBQ (coin operated facilities) accessible by car. Stop, bring a group of friends, enjoy BBQ lunch on the lawned area. Arrange for Breeze Hire to come and spend an afternoon with you with canoes, or ski lessons.
- After lunch jump into canoes and paddle upstream. Around and past the huge pumping station to the Left. Hear the noise of the rushing water being sucked out of the Murray.
- Between Hume Reserve and Thiele Reserve you may see the wreck of the Yalata. Keep an eye open. Another Option. Stay at Avoca Dell for the weekend enjoy.....bbq areas, mini golf etc., and again, let Breeze Hire bring the canoes down and you can launch from Avoca Dell for a hour or so paddling, then return for your bbq lunch on the grass areas.
Prior to european settlement, much of the Aboriginal population of Australia lived near rivers which provided plentiful fresh water and food to meet their needs. The first riverboats of the Murray River were canoes cut from the bark of trees. A number of daily boat trips visit sites previously inhabited by the original occupants of this land. Heading down river is the area of Long Island this is a spritual place to the Ngarrindjeri representing a lentlin (spear) thrown by Ngurunderi at Ponde (the fish) as it made its way to Wellington creating the river.
Want to find out more?
Take time to visit our Murray Bridge Visitor Information Centre (08) 8539 1142 on Second St.
Why not stay a while longer and find out more. Do the Murray Bridge Rail & River Heritage walks.
Do another Trail. Pick up a copy of Mannum Canoe Trail exploring the Wrecks from the Rec. Look out for our Heritage and History Trail, Murraylands Food and Produce Trail, Murraylands Art Trail.
Find places along the Murray River to hire canoe and kayak equipment.
Operators along the Murray River who run canoeing and kayaking trips, tours and adventures
Tell your friends you found this at murrayriver.com.au!
Copyright Discover Murray 2017. This site or any portion of this site must not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose that is not expressly permitted by DISCOVER MURRAY.