- About the Murray
- History & Stories
- Education Info
- River Management
- Real Estate
- Boating & Marinas
- Log On
Coorong National Park - wetland of international significance
Coorong National Park (SA)
Stretching more than 140 kilometres, Coorong National Park protects a string of saltwater lagoons that are protected from the Southern Ocean by the sweeping sand dunes of the Younghusband Peninsula.
A wetland of international significance and important archaeological site, the Coorong is of enormous cultural significance to the Ngarrindjeri people, with ancient mounds of discarded shells revealing archaeological evidence of Aboriginal camp sites over thousands of years.
The distinctive landscape is an important breeding area for the Australian pelican and is a refuge for ducks, swans, cormorants, terns, grebes and numerous species of migratory birds. More than 240 species of native birds many that migrate annually from Siberia, Alaska, Japan and China.
The park can be explored alongthe various walking trails, paddling along waterways by kyak, or four-wheel driving along designated tracks and the beach. The diverse number of birds that visit the area also provides ideal birdwatching and photographic opportunities. Scenic campgrounds are located on both sides of the lagoon.
How to get there:
The Coorong National Park is located south east of Adelaide. The southern part of the park is accessible via Goolwa, Meningie and Salt Creek off Highway 1. If you are arriving from the south, enter the park via Kingston South East.
Best nearby visitor contact:
Goolwa Visitor Information Centre
Landscape: Plains, Lakes and Coorong
- Kosciuszko National Park (NSW)
- Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park (VIC)
- Murray River Reserves (VIC/NSW)
- Barmah National Park (VIC)
- Gunbower National Park (VIC)
- Nyah-Vinifera Park (VIC)
- River Red Gum National Parks (VIC/NSW)
- Murray Valley National and Regional Parks (NSW)
- Hattah-Kulkyne National Park (VIC)
- Murray-Kulkyne National Park (VIC)
- Yanga National Park (NSW) (Murrumbidgee River near the Murray River)
- Mungo National Park (NSW)
- Murray-Sunset National Park (VIC)
- Murray River National Park (SA)
- Coorong National Park (SA)
Tell your friends you found this at murrayriver.com.au!
Copyright Discover Murray 2013. This site or any portion of this site must not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose that is not expressly permitted by DISCOVER MURRAY.