- About the Murray
- History & Stories
- Education Info
- River Management
- Boating & Marinas
- Log On
Barmah National Park world's largest river red gums forest
Barmah National Park, together with the adjoining Murray Valley Regional and National Parks in New South Wales, forms the largest River Red Gum forest in the world. The complex ecology of the forest is closely linked to the Murray River and its flooding regime, creating a diverse natural habitat for a variety of wildlife, particularly waterbirds.
Barmah is a great spot for camping. Days can be easily filled with fishing, horse riding, bushwalking, swimming and canoeing.
One of the best ways to experience Barmah National Park is with a Kingfisher Cruise. Nowhere else in the world can you experience such timeless, natural beauty and peace as when you are gliding through the World-Heritage listed Barmah Wetlands aboard the MV Kingfisher.
Barmah National Park contains many cultural heritage sites and is significant to the Yorta Yorta people as part of their traditional Country.
How to get there:
Barmah National Park lies along the Murray River between the towns of Barmah and Strathmerton, about 225km north of Melbourne. Access to the 12 major entrance gates is available from the Moira Lakes Road, Barmah-Picola Road, and the Murray Valley Highway.
Landscape: Steep Banks and River Red Gums
- Kosciuszko National Park (NSW)
- Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park (VIC)
- Murray River Reserves (VIC/NSW)
- Barmah National Park (VIC)
- Gunbower National Park (VIC)
- Nyah-Vinifera Park (VIC)
- River Red Gum National Parks (VIC/NSW)
- Murray Valley National and Regional Parks (NSW)
- Hattah-Kulkyne National Park (VIC)
- Yanga National Park (NSW) (Murrumbidgee River near the Murray River)
- Murray-Sunset National Park (VIC)
- Mungo National Park (NSW)
- Murray River National Park (SA)
- Coorong National Park (SA)
Tell your friends you found this at murrayriver.com.au!
Copyright Discover Murray 2017. This site or any portion of this site must not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose that is not expressly permitted by DISCOVER MURRAY.