- About the Murray
- History & Stories
- Education Info
- River Management
- Real Estate
- Boating & Marinas
- Log On
Deniliquin, New South Wales
Deniliquin (New South Wales)
Situated on the Edward River, Deniliquin has long been associated with the sheep industry and other agricultural industries. The region was first settled by Benjamin Boyd in 1842 when he established the Dunelequin run of 493 290 hectares, 6.5 km from the present town. Today it is well provided with leisure facilities to suit a wide range of interests, including tennis, golf, bowls and horse-racing. The beaches on the river are ideal for swimming; and boating, skiing, canoeing and fishing are always popular.
Over the river from Cressy Street, is formed by the meandering Edward River. It is home to a variety of native animals; kangaroos, emus, possums, platypus and tortoises, plus numerous species of birds. In this setting of river red gums there are also picnic facilities, including barbecues, making it a peaceful and relaxing spot. Access is also via Memorial Park Drive. There are numerous other picnic spots along the river in the Deniliquin State Forest. Short-term camping is also permitted.
Set adjacent to the main shopping centre and offer a pleasant diversion from shopping. The gardens are well renowned having won several awards. Facilities include rotundas, rest-rooms and barbecues.
Poictiers Street. Construction work on this impressive brick and stucco-finished building was completed in 1887, but it remained unoccupied until 1892. The Court House is excellently maintained and is particularly spectacular at night, when it is flood-lit.
Deniliquin Uniting Church
Poictiers Street. This brick church has a very interesting front elevation with its seven spires and large arched stained-glass window recess. The church contains a stained-glass replica of Da Vinci’s work.
Peppin Heritage Centre
cnr Napier and George streets. Set in the old Deniliquin Public School, the excellent displays depict the struggle and triumph of George Peppin and his sons in establishing the Peppin merino sheep breed. The centre tells the story of the wool industry and those people associated with it. It also features a short informative audio visual display. The surrounding grounds display the reconstructed ‘Warriston’ Ram Shed, the gaol from Wanganella Station and the Struggle for Water exhibition. Within the school one room is furnished as a class room. Special live shows including sheep-dog trials and dressage events are conducted intermittently. Open daily 10am-5pm. Admission charged.
Have you ever heard of a water channel crossing a river? It does at Lawson Syphon where more water flows under the Edward River each day than is consumed by the City of Melbourne. Work began on the syphon in 1939, stopped during the war years and was completed in 1955. From the head in the Mulwala Canal (from Lake Mulwala) the water flows down a steep gradient, through segmented gates and into the syphon consisting of two 3-metre internal diameter concrete pipes laid side by side 2 m under the bed of the Edward River. The water first flows through the syphon for 760m under the river and billabongs, surfaces for approximately 1000m, and then re-enters the syphon for a distance of 150m under the Aljoes Creek, from where it re-surfaces into a open channel which services the Deniboota Irrigation Area. The syphon is designed for a total flow of 1000 cubic feet of water per second, or 540 million gallons per day.
Access is via Lawson Syphon Road. It is well signposted. From the turnoff, the dirt track parallels the Mulwala Canal, crosses Aljoes Creek, and again follows the canal to the Edwards River where a track leads across the old construction bridge. Please leave the gates as you find them. The syphon is approximately 6 km south-east from Deniliquin, and is best seen during the irrigation season, as in winter months the channel is sometimes empty.
Aboriginal Heritage Walkway
Deniliquin State Forest. Access is via Davidson Street (just over the bridge on the Finley side of the river). This short walk identifies heritage subjects as it meanders through the forest. A notice board at the entrance identifies the items.
River Scenic Drive
Begins at End and Junction streets, and passes Island Sanctuary, the old Water Tower and furnace flue, the Golf Club, the Memorial Park Football Ground and then into the Deniliquin State Forest. River access can be gained, but the drive peters out near Park Creek and you need to retrace your tracks.
Edward River Scenic Walk
Follows the Edward River from McLean Beach (off Charlotte Street) to Island Sanctuary. The distance is 1.6 km of easy walking. Seats and picnic tables are placed along the route.
44 km north of Deniliquin, the Peppin Merino Stud Memorial, of a sculptured bronze Merino ram, is located beside the road.
(Sunrise Country Visitors Centre), Rice Mill Road, south of Deniliquin is the fourth largest rice mill in the world. It services the Denimein and Deniboota Irrigation Areas and is part of the vast Riverina Rice Growing Area where over 2 340 farmers produce over 750 000 tonnes of rice. Much of that crop is stored and milled at Deniliquin. Open Mon-Fri.
Police Inspector’s Residence
Macauley Street, Deniliquin has been restored and a collection of photographs and documents is displayed. Open: Tues 10am-noon.
Pioneer Gardens and Tourist Park and nursery
Situated on the Hay Road (Cobb Highway) 3 km north of Deniliquin. Based around the former Old Imperial Hotel (1872), the gardens are a focus for history of the area. The pioneer and antique pumps and engines in the display have been restored to working order, but are usually idle. They ‘come to life’ on special occasions, e.g. Easter. Open daily 9am-5pm.
North Deni Worm Patch
Cobb Highway 3.5 km north of Deniliquin. This centre caters for the fisherman, with bait, advice and equipment. A feature are the display of live fish and the worm beds. Guided tours are available on request.
Torrumbarry Weir, west of Echuca
Torrumbarry Weir, 29 km west from Echuca, 8 km off the Murray Valley Highway. The reserve is open to the public during daylight hours. It has an attractive picnic area with extensive well-kept lawns and toilets. A caravan park is adjacent to this reserve. The weir was built in 1923 for the River Murray Water Commission, with the aim of raising the summer level of the river by 5m, to permit irrigation by gravitation.
Kow Swamp Just 3 km from Leitchville, or 6.6 km from Gunbower, the Kow Swamp is a large expanse of swampy wetlands and vegetation, and home to numerous bird species. Camping and picnicking sites are available, particularly the Lions Park, south of Gunbower. Kow Swamp is the site of the discovery of evidence of early humans. It has been established that tribes lived in this area 10 000–20 000 years ago.
Explore DeniliquinExpand Map
Tell your friends you found this at murrayriver.com.au!
Copyright Discover Murray 2013. This site or any portion of this site must not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose that is not expressly permitted by DISCOVER MURRAY.